Celebrity Rebellion & the Aftermath
Over the years, many of my once favorite artists have faded into some of my least. As stardom became exhausting and their pressure intensified, first Britney Spears and then Miley Cyrus went through rebellion stages. For me, I became a fan of both of these artists at a rather young age. I did not know what to think of either one, but I looked to my mom and my friends to see their opinions of each. As their rebellion began, I looked at what I had previously remembered of each artist and grew my own opinions as their new personas kicked into high gear.
In 2007, Britney Spears openly walked into a salon in Los Angeles and proceeded to shave her entire head. Personally, I thought this was strange as I thought she was very pretty before this. Britney Spears had been my favorite pop-star when I was in elementary school. I used to run around my house in costumes with my little sister screaming the lyrics to "Hit Me Baby One More Time." When 2007 hit and she shaved her head, I wasn't as big of a fan, but I still remembered her as one of my favorite artists growing up. The act of shaving her head greatly skewed my view of her and put a negative spin on my previously positive attitude for her. Though there is nothing wrong with shaving your head, her actions to follow seemed rebellious and unlike the Britney I had been a fan of.
Similarly, in 2013, Miley Cyrus performed her, in my opinion, crazy and inappropriate act at the VMA's. As she twerked on dancers and Robin Thicke, touched herself rather uncomfortably, and was rather distasteful, my opinion of Miley went instantly downwards. Following this, she released her "Wrecking Ball" music video where she is seen almost naked on a swinging ball. This greatly skewed my Hannah Montana, sweet girl view of her. Of course, this is what she wanted, however it has changed my view of her since.
Each memory of these artists in my elementary school days is very positive. Each of their music and shows brought me great joy and helped me bond with some of my, still, closest friends. When each artist acted out, social media was not near where it is today. When Britney Spears shaved her head, I was only 11. I remember hearing about Britney's latest rebellion act through articles on the internet or through the news on TV. However when Miley Cyrus performed at the VMA's, I remember many feelings being shared on both Twitter and Facebook. I saw parents posting on Facebook and teenagers tweeting either disapproving of her acts or saying she is "a badass."
Today, I wonder what the reaction would be online if this occurred in the current day and age. Social media has grown tremendously in the past 5 years. The user base and age range has expanded and people are not hesitant to share their beliefs and feelings online. Would this have altered how the celebrities acted? Would more of their actions that may have been "behind the scenes" gotten exposed? Or would this further promote how each star wanted to be perceived? Today, everyone, myself included, has to be careful with how they portray themselves online. Though celebrities have more of a leeway because they will be successful (for the most party) regardless, my dad always says "you only have one reputation." This is something for everyone to remember as they post photos, share articles, and tweet their emotions because anything that you post on the internet can be found again.
In 2007, Britney Spears openly walked into a salon in Los Angeles and proceeded to shave her entire head. Personally, I thought this was strange as I thought she was very pretty before this. Britney Spears had been my favorite pop-star when I was in elementary school. I used to run around my house in costumes with my little sister screaming the lyrics to "Hit Me Baby One More Time." When 2007 hit and she shaved her head, I wasn't as big of a fan, but I still remembered her as one of my favorite artists growing up. The act of shaving her head greatly skewed my view of her and put a negative spin on my previously positive attitude for her. Though there is nothing wrong with shaving your head, her actions to follow seemed rebellious and unlike the Britney I had been a fan of.
Similarly, in 2013, Miley Cyrus performed her, in my opinion, crazy and inappropriate act at the VMA's. As she twerked on dancers and Robin Thicke, touched herself rather uncomfortably, and was rather distasteful, my opinion of Miley went instantly downwards. Following this, she released her "Wrecking Ball" music video where she is seen almost naked on a swinging ball. This greatly skewed my Hannah Montana, sweet girl view of her. Of course, this is what she wanted, however it has changed my view of her since.
Each memory of these artists in my elementary school days is very positive. Each of their music and shows brought me great joy and helped me bond with some of my, still, closest friends. When each artist acted out, social media was not near where it is today. When Britney Spears shaved her head, I was only 11. I remember hearing about Britney's latest rebellion act through articles on the internet or through the news on TV. However when Miley Cyrus performed at the VMA's, I remember many feelings being shared on both Twitter and Facebook. I saw parents posting on Facebook and teenagers tweeting either disapproving of her acts or saying she is "a badass."
Today, I wonder what the reaction would be online if this occurred in the current day and age. Social media has grown tremendously in the past 5 years. The user base and age range has expanded and people are not hesitant to share their beliefs and feelings online. Would this have altered how the celebrities acted? Would more of their actions that may have been "behind the scenes" gotten exposed? Or would this further promote how each star wanted to be perceived? Today, everyone, myself included, has to be careful with how they portray themselves online. Though celebrities have more of a leeway because they will be successful (for the most party) regardless, my dad always says "you only have one reputation." This is something for everyone to remember as they post photos, share articles, and tweet their emotions because anything that you post on the internet can be found again.


Comments
Post a Comment